line decor
MAWW International Logo
line decor
   Need more information NOW?   Call Tony Baker at +1.416.500.7287.
line decor


For immediate assistance with this complex topic,
call Tony Baker at 416.500.7287
or toll-free: 1.855.222.6299 (MAWW)

Otherwise, please read on....


Most electrical and electronic equipment is required to be CE marked under one or more of the following directives.

Equipment with a supply voltage between 50v a.c. (75v d.c.) and 1,000v a.c. (1,500v d.c.) must be CE marked under the Low Voltage Directive, 2014/35/EU (LVD).

Examples of equipment that must be CE marked under the LVD include:

  • Switching and control equipment;
  • Measuring and/or control equipment for laboratory and light industrial use;
  • Information technology equipment (e.g. computers, printers);
  • Lighting equipment (e.g. luminaires, LED lamps);
  • Household equipment (e.g. washing machines, vacuum cleaners, ovens).

Whether or not they are within the supply voltage ranges specified for the LVD, most equipment must also be certified under the following directives:

  • Electromagnetic Compatibility, 2014/30/EU (EMC)
  • Restriction of Hazardous Substances, 2011/65/EU (RoHS), and
  • Waste Electrical and Electronics, 2012/19/EU (WEEE).


Certain types of electrical/electronic equipment or phenomena fall outside the scope of the LVD.  These include:

  • Electrical equipment for use in an explosive atmosphere (refer to the ATEX Directive);
  • Electrical equipment for radiology and medical purposes (refer to the Medical Devices Directives);
  • Electrical parts for goods and passenger lifts;
  • Electricity meters;
  • Plugs and socket outlets for domestic use;
  • Electric fence controllers;
  • Radio-electrical interference;
  • Specialized electrical equipment, for use on ships, aircraft or railways, which comply with the safety provisions drawn up by international bodies in which the Member States participate;
  • Custom built evaluation kits for professionals to be used solely at research and development facilities for such purposes.


All electrical and electronic equipment is to be certified by the manufacturer, but certain assessment and testing activities may need to be carried out by a third party, if the manufacturer does not have suitable capabilities in-house.

For a detailed discussion of CE marking of electrical and electronic equipment, please call Tony Baker at 416.500.7287 or toll-free at 1.855.222.6299 (MAWW)


We provide a service to North American companies to help them minimize the costs, confusion and bureaucracy of dealing with CE Marking and other European regulatory requirements.

To get the complete low-down on CE Marking your product, call Tony Baker at 416-500-7287 or
toll-free at 1.855.222.6299

To ask us a question by email about CE marking your product, please CLICK HERE.

For detailed explanations of CE marking topics, click below:

Products requiring the CE mark
Countries requiring CE marking
Declaration of Conformity
Do we need a Notified Body?
Responsibilty for CE marking
What is CE marking for?
Electronic Equipment